The only free English dictionary app and thesaurus that has every word you look up: 1.3 million definitions of words and idioms from multiple authoritative dictionaries and encyclopedias, including:
* Webster's Dictionary
* The American Heritage Dictionary
* Roget's Thesaurus
Plus more than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these industry-leading publishers:
* Houghton Mifflin
* Random House
* Cambridge University Press
* Columbia University Press
* and more!
Bonus content, available now for free:
* Offline dictionary
* Legal and medical dictionaries and other specialty sources
* Spanish dictionary, French dictionary, and 12 other languages
* Translations of English into 40+ languages, including English to Spanish, English to French, and more.
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions of times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews—read a few to see why our users prefer The Free Dictionary over all other dictionary apps.
Users' top-rated features:
* Learn something new every day with Word of the Day and other daily articles.
* Search 80+ English dictionaries from top publishers for both common and rare words, featuring extensive definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations and more.
* Check your spelling, improve your vocabulary, and learn common misspellings.
* Listen to 280,000+ audio pronunciations, including both American and British pronunciations.
* Get free access to 100,000+ entries in the offline English dictionary and thesaurus. Just switch to offline mode via the app menu to download offline content.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type.
* Play word games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, and Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Track your learning and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by looking up words and playing word games!
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Multiple thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, and images.
* Multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Specialty dictionaries, including Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Science, Computing, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and more.
* Online dictionaries in 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Greek, Arabic, Polish, Norwegian, and Turkish.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Standard and IPA pronunciation keys.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page with one tap.
* Search for words on the page.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even personalized horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words, encyclopedia entries, and daily articles via social networks, email, and text.
* Adjust font size.
* This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
* For app developers: TheFreeDictionary.com app has the ability to be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions on accessing TFD).
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in Google Play.
Recommended for You